Saturday, September 29, 2012

first open mic

9/25 -- This evening, my British drummer friend Guy and I went out to an open mic at the Peel Fresco Cafe out in Soho.  Its pretty far from campus, but it was worth it to play some music.  I had just bought a bass and I was looking to try it out live.  After taking a few wrong turns and getting lost, I made it to the cafe, and Guy showed up slightly later.  It was a very cool atmosphere, with red colored walls and dim lighting.  Another musician saw me with my bass and asked if i wanted to play with him.  So I set up and Guy joined in as well and we played a few covers.  The other musician was an Indian, but grew up in England, he played acoustic guitar and sang.  We then switched it up and I played acoustic and sang a few tunes, and he played my bass.  It was great fun and the crowd was enjoying it.  It ended up getting pretty late, and Guy and I had to leave before the last MTR left central station, or else we would to pay 10x the money for a taxi back to UST.  As we were about to leave, another guitarist/singer showed up and asked us to stay for one more song.  It was well worth it.  We played Just the two of us by Bill Withers and it sounded great.  I've always wanted a chance to jam on that song on bass live.  We still managed to catch the last MTR back to Hang Hau.  Great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment