Friday, November 9, 2012

Busking in Mong Kok

Figured I'd give busking a shot in Hong Kong while I'm here.  Busking is where you perform in the street, sometimes for money or usually in Hong Kong for self-expression.  I did it for practice.  What better way to practice than to make a fool of yourself in front of 1000s of people walking by in one of the most crowded streets in Hong Kong.  The street is called Sai Yeung Choi Street, and on weekends it is closed off for pedestrians mainly for shopping and food.  Many buskers frequent this street, but they usually amplifiers and other equipment.  I'm not willing to put the money out for that since I won't be able to bring it back to the states, so it was just my acoustic six string and my voice trying to be heard over the masses of people. 

First time I did it, I had a little crowd of Hong Kong fan girls, who all wanted my number, which was quite funny.  Should've done this on day 1.  Second time, it was more crowded and loud, and a bit harder to get people to stop and listen.  But people actually stopped and at one point I had a decent size crowd.  People are always very friendly ask to take a picture with me.  Some people actually even gave me money, which I wasn't expecting.  These two Chinese guys traveling from Guangzhou gave me their number and said if I ever visit Guangzhou to call them and I can stay with their family and they can show me around.  This sounds really cool, cuz I was actually planning on going there.  But after being in Shanghai, my trust in Chinese people like this has dwindled.  Maybe I'll give them a ring if I make it up to Guangzhou.

It was good fun a good practice, but I think i'll try my busking elsewhere next time since I don't have an amp.  May try Victoria Harbour in Tsim Sha Tsui next time, as recommended by some passerbys.  Much quieter there and by the water.




More pictures from the MTR

 
AMERICA

No comments:

Post a Comment