Friday, November 30, 2012

Thanksgiving in Hong Kong

11/22 --- Being the minority in a different country has given me a new sense of pride in my home country.  And as an American, I couldn't let Thanksgiving go by without celebrating.  This was the first Thanksgiving I would be spending away from my family.  There aren't many restaurants in Hong Kong that will actually serve a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner, but we found this one place called Fat Angelo's, a New York/Italian restaurant that served dinner.  I planned the outing with Mary Kate, another American from Chicago.  There were seven of us, but only 3 of us were Americans, Mary Kate (Chicago), Jennifer (Boston), and myself.  I invited my friend Damon, from mainland China, who had never experienced Thanksgiving dinner before.  We were also accompanied by 2 other first timers, Anton (Sweden) and Joe (England) who were also curious about what American Thanksgiving is like.  Anton also invited some random guy he met at a hostel a few months ago, who grew up in Beijing but his parents are American.  His accent was very American, but he could speak fluent Mandarin, surprising my friend Damon.  He had a lot of interesting stories being an expat child growing up in Beijing. 

The dinner was great, and though it was a bit pricy, it was all you can eat.  It included turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, vegetables, candied yams, salad, italian bread, and cranberry sauce.  I was surprised at how good it all tasted, since most of the western/american food I've had here has been below average.  It was nice to have some familiar tastes from back home and take a break from the usual rice and noodles here.  Can't wait for Christmas dinner with my family when I get back!



Anton(Sweden), Joe(London), Damon(China), Jennifer(Boston), Mary Kate(Chicago), Me, Anton's friend

No comments:

Post a Comment