Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stargazing, in the rain

11/17  ---- Earlier this week, one of the local girls who I met in a class I dropped, Agnes, asked me if I wanted to join her Astronomy Club event on Saturday to go stargazing and bbq in Sai Kung.  Seemed like it might be a pretty chill and cool night and a good chance to meet some new locals so i agreed.  Well, Saturday came with rain and clouds, but the event was still held.  And I still had a great time.  I met the astronomy kids outside the bookstore on campus, introduced myself and learned so many names that I couldn't remember.  We got on a bus to take us closer to the bbq site and then walked about 20 minutes there to a place called Tai Au Mun.  It was a pretty nice place with fire pits and a kite-flying hill with a great view.





 We cooked food by the fire; sausages, beef balls, fish balls,  chicken and pork.  All your basic food groups.  The event was held in order to see some meteor shower, but clearly that wasn't going to happen.  I brought my guitar along, and Agnes, who was running the event asked me to play for everyone because they couldn't do any stargazing.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it.  Of course they asked if i could play some t.swift or beiber....  luckily i did learn that jason mraz "i'm yours" tune which everyone seems to know around here. The alternative/emo/indie acoustic scene isn't very big in Hong Kong, so I'm kinda at a loss.

After eating we played a few games, and the rain had pretty much let up by then.  We played some number guessing game, where if you happen to pick the number, in a decreasing list of numbers, that the game master picked then you have to get punished by either eating lemon or wasabi.  Of course on the first round I played, I picked the "lucky" number and had to eat lemon.  Not as bad as wasabi though.  When I ate the lemon, one of the locals said, "do you know what eating lemon mean to Hong kong people?",  I replied "no"...  "It mean you will have bad luck with the girls" ... hah that was    obvious before I ate the lemon. (taptap tsshh)

After that game, and eating more lemon,  we went up to the lookout point and played some murder in the dark game.  only here they call it rape instead of murder.  The way they played it didn't really make sense, but of course I was the "raper".  I had to walk around the crowd of ppl whose eyes were closed and tap a person on the shoulder to "rape" them.  they were supposed to shout out after I did so and guess who raped them, but nobody did.  People seemed to randomly shout out even though I didn't rape them.  The game then ended somehow and they found out that i was the rapist.

We then played some chinese variant of duck duck goose, only it was more intense.  maybe i'll bring these games back to the US if i'm ever extremely bored in a field with my friends with absolutely nothing else to do.

After that, we headed back to the bus, and went back to UST.  pretty chill night in Hong Kong and a nice time with the local students.


No comments:

Post a Comment